Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Personal Update

We finally got our Visa paperwork on Tuesday. We needed this to be able to claim our container at customs in the port. This morning my husband went down to begin the work. We had been warned to expect up to $2000 of 'processing fees' and up to a month at the port and they would charge daily rent in the warehouse. Today was the last day of our 'free' rent.

My husband called me at 6:00 p.m. on his way here with the truck..$0 extra fees! Our agent was Christian gentleman and he worked miracles! I was totally unprepared for this to happen so easily! It's like a HUGE miracle...I mean, like the feeding of the 5ooo or raising Lazarus from the dead kind of miracle! I feel like I am in a Twilight Zone episode.
This does NOT happen in South America..no, really, I am speechless!!!

We got our visas in 5 weeks, and our container in a day!!! God is good! I guess after all the difficulties we have been through the last few years with our friend Chavez and his band of merry men, God is giving us a respite! I am so thankful!!!

But, I can not lift anything heavy due to my back surgeries. My son in law,Brian, Jewel, Jayde and Clinton had to unload. My neighbors, whom the landlord had introduced us to and are trustworthy, came out and helped! Four men and some teens. We shared terere and planned a BBQ. Paraguayans are so great!

Now I have to earn my keep and unpack all this stuff!!!
I may not be around online much for a few days.

21 comments:

MightyMom said...

happy nest building!!

MightyMom said...

is verja-funny bunny yours? she's gonna win Thesaurus Thursday this week and methought she might be of your clan.

Unknown said...

Whoopie! a big praise the Lord!

Have fun finishing setting up your new place! I'm excited for you!

Oh I was so happy that I pulled you into my little gag with the O.G. photos. That was fun!

Anonymous said...

Good luck! Seems G-d is on your side...or can you tell from these kinds of episodes!? How many sons-in law do you have;)

CrimeSceneFairy said...

Yaay!! Containers are so much fun! :D

Betty said...

I´m soo happy for you! And I love the new pic on the side bar! You have a lovely family! I wish I could come and visit and take a look at what you house looks like right now.......

Rebecca said...

Praise the Lord! I believe you when you say that doesn't happen in South America. There are fees for everything. I have an important geography question for you. Is Guatemala part of South America or North America. I ask because Central America is not considered its own continent.

Charles said...

I am reminded of the great quote by Peter Falk from the wonderful comedy "The In-Laws" where he says, "Oh yes, there is tremendous corruption in the bush."

It's good to hear you are getting settled in.

Isn't it wonderful how God is interested even in the smallest details of our lives? He cuts through even the thickest red tape.

Jane said...

HALLELUIA!!!!! That's fabulous. Enjoy it!

~Karen_ said...

Great news! Happy unpacking!

Liz said...

RITA!!! Congratulations!!! lots of fun, everything is gonna have a place
;-)


For Rebecca:
Guatemala is -geographically speaking- located in Central America. The continent -as a whole- is America.

North America is Mexico, United States and Canada.

Central America is Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama.

South America is Colombia, Venezuela, Guyana, Suriname, French Guiana, Brazil, Ecuador, Bolivia, Peru, Chile, Uruguay and Paraguay.

People often get confused, because Guatemala or any other spanish speaking country belongs to 'latinamerica', but could be located in either one of the 3 regions. As Mexico is part of North America.

Starla said...

That is great news!!! Praise the Lord!!!!

WomanHonorThyself said...

enjoy the bbq!..and taker easy!

McCoy Farm said...

Praise the Lord! That's a wonderful blessing! In our quest to persue missions, I was wondering how much it would cost to ship a container. I'd heard from the Hagerman's that it cost $800 for a 50# package, I think they said...Just be careful of unpacking! Any little, wrong move can set your back on the wrong track again.

Findalis said...

Does it not say Ask and ye shall receive? Glad that you are finally settling in and hope your back is better soon.

Gecko said...

Glad to hear your gear finally arrived, it's always fun unpacking them. You will now feel like you are actually home.

Brenda said...

congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congrats, jm. Glad to hear that things are going your way. I know that it was only upon our return trip from Venezuela in '70 that our 'container' (a huge wooden crate) ended up in the hold of a ship and got half-submerged in refined machine oil...

It was a good thing that our household furnishings had been insured. ;-)

Nina in Portugal said...

I wish we had brought a container...I miss so much of my stuff that stayed behind. I'm praising the Lord with you for the goodness he has bestowed upon you all.

I love the picture on your side bar of your family!!

Thursday's Child said...

Yep, miracle is right. Usually we need DH to take the twins with him to help charm them into moving things along. ;)

groovyoldlady said...

Here's a big HALLELUIAH from Maine!