Friday, September 04, 2009

Did you miss me ?

We had quite a storm come through and, once again, it knocked out our internet.

La Santa Rosa Storm. When the cold season is over, we have the "Santa Rosa Storm", a cycle of heavy rain and lightning storms that bursts at the beginning of spring and corresponds with the Catholic holiday 'La Santa Rosa' which is on August 30. For hundreds of years the storm has been recorded to arrive between the 25th of August and the 5th of September and is the worse storm of the year.

Remember the last time this happened was due to a volcanic storm in Chile? Well, we had to go through the same process again to restore our internet service. This time the antenna itself had been completly bent over.


So I re-post the photos here.




This how we have internet service in our house. I mentioned we have a 75 foot high tower and the storm last week had knocked our antenna out of position. The only way to fix this is to physically climb the tower and reposition the receiver while some one inside watches to let you know when you have it positioned correctly to get the signal.

It involves a lot of yelling.

You can see the technician climbing our tower.



Hanging on during a brisk wind!




He made it to the top.



Starting back down.


Believe it or not, this is a very common sight here.

11 comments:

Findalis said...

I was wondering where did you go. Glad to know you are safe and well.

Tana said...

Wow that is one tall tower! I'm glad your back ;)

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

Wow! I'm impressed that you have internet, though! I know that is a huge help overseas to have access to it "anytime" you want, even though you're at the mercy of nature and the country you're in. We never knew when it would be knocked out in India. It became kind of a game. :0)

Glad y'all are okay!

ABNPOPPA said...

I guess you would be out of luck if I had to do that! I get a nose bleed on a step ladder.

Don't forget Saturday morning cartoons!

Pops

Betty W said...

Yes I missed you! I´m glad you got it all fixed again. Sometimes I think we in Filadelfia have more modern connections than in the big city. My internet connects through our Copaco phone line. No antenna needed. :)

Kathy said...

Glad to see you back! Hope there are no more storms for awhile! :) Enjoy your weekend!

Caraqueña said...

Yikes...poor guy~I bet he HATES STORMS :S

Glenn B said...

Hope he uses a safety belt. Man that would just about make me, well let's just say very scared.

MightyMom said...

if it's bent do you have to buy a new one?

Brenda said...

I cant ever watch those things. I feel like just by watching, I will make them fall somehow. Crazy, but thats how it makes me feel!

Unknown said...

Oh My! Glad that isn't my job!